Wednesday, March 6, 2013

We're Here, and We're Starting to Adjust

We've been in Jerusalem almost three days now, but I'm so immersed in the disorientation and exhaustion that comes with this kind of travel that I feel like I've never been anywhere but right here. It's hard to believe we're in this bright city of stone, and when we get out into it, it's bustling and beautiful and exciting. At the same time, there are moments in which I feel like I want to get on the first plane back home, so I can sleep in my own bed, make meals from a fully-stocked kitchen, and have my kids back on their normal schedules! I know we'll adjust soon, but it's definitely been a busy and somewhat bewildering couple of days.

Our plane arrived in Tel Aviv late Monday morning. We were lucky to have a fairly uneventful flight. The boys both slept on the plane (I wish Eric and I could say the same!), and we made it through the routine of customs and immigration, finding a rental car, and driving up to Jerusalem without major problems. Flying with two babies isn't easy, but all things considered, we did pretty well. That afternoon, we went to the closest local grocery store, which is really only a five-minute walk from our house. Here are the boys and I as we started our first walk in the city.


And to be honest, most of what we've been doing these past couple of days isn't too exciting, though it seems like a lot of activity for us. Yesterday, we took a trip to the mall to get a few household items and some toys for the boys. Strangely, it almost felt good to be in the mall, where you can get lost in the sea of shoppers and familiar stores and pretend you're pretty much anywhere. Today we returned our rental car and made our way back home on foot. We skirted the edge of the Old City, and though we didn't have time to trek down to the Western Wall, it was exciting to be on the edges of the ramparts once again. There were some patches of green grass outside the walls, and so we were able to let Alexander out of the stroller to run around a bit. He found some small walls to climb up on right away, and when he finished his first climb, he signed that he wanted "more." Maybe our little climber is in his element? You might think he's smiling in this picture, but it's actually more of a grimace. He's pretty much squirming to get out of Eric's arms so he can run around again...

 
We're all a little restless, trying to get our footing here. Our sleeping is totally off, of course, and last night we were all up until 2am, hanging out, unpacking and watching YouTube videos of Rechov Sumsum, the Hebrew version of Sesame Street. It will be good to get rid of this jet-lag, and to get on somewhat normal schedules. The toughest thing for me right now is getting used to being in a new house; I didn't realize how settled I'm getting back home, and it's challenging to figure out how to feel comfortable here. Today we had to go to three grocery stores to find the ingredients for a Turkish lentil stew we make all the time at home. I figured since we are in the Middle East it would be pretty easy to find what we needed, but that was not the case. We were practically going crazy in the supermarket, as we tried to explain to an employee what "bulgar" was while keeping Alexander's hands away from the candy bars, but ultimately, we did make it back home, and we did make the stew, and best of all, Alexander, who basically hadn't eaten a full meal since we've arrived, dug right into his soup and after his first bite, said, "Mmmmm." Well, that pretty much made my day. In the coming weeks, I'll try to keep remembering that these little moments of contentment are what we need to focus on. We have a way to go before we feel comfortable, but we're getting there!
 
Before I sign off, I have to mention one more thing. I haven't said much about Benjamin, but as the youngest, he's probably adjusting better than all of us. He sleeps when he needs to, makes it clear when he wants to eat, and is pretty much his pleasant, smiley self. But I have to give him props because tonight, he rolled over for the first time! How's that for excitement??

2 comments:

  1. Hi Xander! ....and Eric, Kate, and Benji! I am so relieved to hear the flight over went well. I was anxious for you. Benjamin, I am so proud to hear you rolled over! Yay! Alexander, I am thrilled to hear you are exploring everything and trying to climb everything. You go, little man! Kate, thank you for writing this blog. I love seeing pics of the boys and hearing what they are up to. Our house has been very quiet these past couple of weeks with none of our little charges running around. Brody misses having "his boys" over!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am making the Turkish stew tonight!

    ReplyDelete